Best Riding Mowers, Zero Turn and Lawn Tractors
Choosing the best lawn mower can be a very expensive and confusing decision for the average homeowner due to the variety of models available on the market today.
There are various kinds of lawnmowers each meant for different uses depending on the area to be maintained, versatility and brand reliability. We categorize lawn mowers based on these features and list the best options under each category.
A QUICK WORD ABOUT ALTERNATIVE MOWERS
Walk behind push mowers and Robotic mowers for small lawns and urban backyards
Most traditional homeowners with small lawns would choose a walk behind lawnmower for maintaining their lawns. These can be bought for very cheap prices and are usually very fuel efficient.
Robotic lawnmowers are meant for the same volume and nature of work as the former, but will take care of your lawn maintenance automatically.
If you have bigger than average growth in your lawn though, it is better to invest in a robotic lawnmower than having to make multiple rounds with a manual walk behind model.
The only downside to owning a robotic lawnmower though are that they can’t handle complex lawn setups and lower reliability on average compared to conventional push mowers. Below is a list of some of the best walk-behind and robotic lawn mowers available in the market today.
A QUICK WORD ABOUT ROBOT MOWERS
• The WORX-WG794 “Landroid” is a preprogrammed robotic lawnmower with an array of sensors that lets it navigate through complex non-plain lawns and return to its base for charging. It’s among the most affordable and reliable robotic mowers on sale now.
However, it cannot handle spaces larger than .25 acres and will need to make multiple rounds if the grass is too thick or tall.
• The Husqvarna “Automower”, is a similar robotic lawnmower as the first option. The Automower though is more durable and can handle inclined yards better.
It can also function in heavy rain and rough terrains something that the Landroid cannot do well.
On the cons side though this one costs almost double of what the Landroid costs.
• The Snapper P2185020 is an affordable and very reliable walk behind mower praised by users for its usability.
Its self-propelled meaning you don’t need to push it around like it’s cheaper cousins, instead you guide it through its path.
The larger rear wheels also mean better maneuverability.
These are contemporary lawnmowers introduced since the late 1980s. They are frequently advertised as helping save lawn mowing time by half compared to other options. ZTR mowers are also preferred by landscaping professionals because of their maneuverability and superior speed going forward.
The smaller front wheels and the rear mounted engines along with large rear wheels help ZTR lawnmowers to navigate tricky terrain, around trees, under bushes etc., with ease.
The downside is that these are not versatile enough as ride mowers with their only function being mowing grass.
• The Poulan Pro-P46ZX is among the most reliable zero turn radius lawnmowers right now and the Poulan brand name plays a big role here.
Excellent service, a 10 Year cutting deck warranty and comfortable seating make this a compelling choice.
• The Husqvarna Z200 series is priced higher than the Poulan, but offer higher speeds and a larger cutting deck. Strangely enough though the Husqvarna does not offer reverse mowing with the Poulan Pro does.
You can find the best riding lawn mowers on the market by reading online reviews and customer ratings.
RIDING LAWN MOWERS & GARDEN TRACTORS FOR LARGE LAWNS AND VERSATILITY
Riding lawn mowers and garden tractors are meant for larger lawns. These options offer better capabilities and are highly versatile with modular attachments that will take care of all gardening needs.
There are differences between the two though, regular lawn tractors and mowers are simple, powerful and come with limited attachments capability.
These are great for simple maintenance. Garden tractors on the other hand are technically tractors, with more power, better heavier frames, trailer pulling capabilities and unmatched versatility. These are however more expensive and only make sense if you’re a professional or have a large lawn to maintain.
• The Troy-Bilt O.H.V Riding lawn-tractor is a simple and affordable option for most people. Its well-built and reliable enough for small-medium sized land owners.
• The Husqvarna-YTA18542 is said to be the best riding lawn-mower on the market now. Its small, powerful and comes fully assembled for the unassuming beginner to start working. It’s also very efficient with the manufacturer claiming mowing figures of up to 2.5 acres per hour.
• The John Deere Garden-Tractor Model-X530 is a true beast among Lawn tractors.
Weighing in at almost 800 lbs., you can mow over any surface with this one without worrying about damaging the tractor. A reinforced frame, 54-inch cutting-deck and the John Deere brand name should be enough to convince anyone to choose it.